punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Monday, August 14, 2006

at least I got a sandwich

The title is just for Scott. I actually got more than a sandwich. It was a good time.

"What? What was a good time, John!?" you are no doubt all asking.

Last night Deb & I and some other people met up at The Potbelly.. local eatery.. to hang out and check out their open mic night, which is every Sunday from 6 - 8pm (with your host, Adam Wolfe).

These people (Josh, Rachel, Kati, Deb & Aiden) came along because they like to hang out and eat sandwiches, and also to make sure that I went through with playing the open mic. ..It was sort of like a shotgun wedding, but where J/R/K/D/A played the part of the shotguns, and the parts of the reluctant groom and the bride were played by myself and a crappy microphone on a high platform (Seriously, there's a ladder. Ever climb a ladder with a guitar?) in the corner of the restaurant.

People who play get a free sandwich for their trouble--which is kind of like saying that people who eat candy get tasty goodness for their trouble, I think--but still definitely a bonus. I had the PBJ, which is excellent. Other highlights of the night included, in no particular order:

~ Really nice people at the open mic. Adam Wolfe was a gracious and giving host, and down-to-earth guy, despite constant assertions of his own evilness. Also, he does a pretty mean Johnny Cash for a rocker guy. Michael, Josh, and Matt (other open-mic-ers) were all nice guys, who didn't make me feel stupid for being at least a decade older than all of them. Additionally, they were all good.

~ Not actually making a fool of myself.* Other than a flubbed chord change, I did alright. People said it was good, I believe them, and they asked me to come back next week. (so how bad can that be, right?)

~ A really wonderful bunch of friends, who were willing to encourage me to do something I should be doing ayway, and not laugh at me for being a loser in that I needed the encouraging in the first place. At least not much.

I will try to make this a fairly regular Sunday thing.

* I did, when coming down off the ladder, have the great idea of "hopping" down and skipping the last couple rungs. Fine idea, except that there was a high-backed chair immediately behind the ladder, and reaching just about six inches further off the ground than my legs are long. I am glad that is wasn't one of those chairs with big knobs on the top. Only Rachel & Josh actually witnessed this entertaining spectacle.

5 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What songs did you play?

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger caparoon said...

"question" by the Old 97s, and "missing everything" by me.

Mr. Wolfe actually gave us a half-hour (!) each.. but I wasn't expecting that, so I just did two and got down. Figured if I actually did 30 mins I'd start running out of material after 2 visits. : ] I was just trying to get over the hump of going & doing it, anyway, so 2 songs did the job just fine.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger mr_eric said...

sounds cool john. i've been to the local potbelly's and enjoyed watching folks play and fall off the stage. good times.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger crevo said...

"the parts of the reluctant groom and the bride were played by myself and a crappy microphone on a high platform"

That brings to mind all sorts of wierd images of you and that microphone bride of yours. I hope your wife didn't mind.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger caparoon said...

Johnny! Of all people to be submitting some kind of pervy comments to my blog, I wouldn't... er.. come to think of it, I should have expected this.

: ]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home