punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Monday, January 01, 2007

Music News

I don't really have any music news. I'm afraid that's the news. : (

I just had... 9 days? ..off of work, and I didn't play a guitar even once. (unless you count "guitar hero", which I go to play for the first time!) So that's the kind of progress I'm making at the moment.

However (in case you should think I'm just boohoo-ing about it), it was a really nice vacation. One of the most relaxing I've had in a long time. I spent a lot of time trying to kill mice, and re-caulking the bathtub, and not trying to accomplish much of anything. It was good. It couldn't have been this way if I were trying to work on music. I just would have been frustrated and angry. So no, "giving up" was the best possible move for this particular time.

The challenge for me in this is to not mope about it and be upset. As I mentioned in my previous post.. I can't "manage" my results in this genre any more than any other. I can pray about it*, try to do the right things for the right reasons, and trust that it's OK with God that I don't make that "progress" by the end of my vacation. He knows, and he's not freaking out about it, so I probably shouldn't be either.

(I do think, to take it a step deeper for a moment, that this should tell me something about my life. At least this in conjunction with a lot of other experiences. In short: the way I live.. "lifestyle" or whatever.. excludes one of the things I love the most. If I want things to run more smoothly (not including my brain, which begins to rot immediately), an easy fix is to just jettison the idea that I'm some kind of musician. So I obviously need to keep working on that. I've tried to create a lot of space by opting out of a bunch of things that I am not really into--but I think I need to go another step, and actually do some things, in addition to not-doing some things.)

Aaand I've still got a few plans. I'm not giving up on anything long term--that was just this week. Apparently I enjoy the self-abuse too much! ; ] I'm going to get some things recorded here in the near future, and move them to the myspace page. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze a couple of opportunities to play out of that. Also, I'm supposed to be doing a "sit in the corner and be a solo acoustic guy" thing for a church event sometime in February, so I need to start working on that, and I plan on hitting the Potbelly and maybe some other open mics in the coming months. Beyond that, I still have the Vox/other equipment/electric guitar player jones.. so I'm going to try and work on a few pieces of gear in the coming year. Always kind of fun.

That's all, folks! I'll continue to keep you posted.

* Interesting aside: This topic was not on the list of things from the last post. The list that I prayed about. Dunno for sure what that says.. probably a couple things. I'm just sayin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home