punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Naked faith

Faith is more resilient than optimism.

But naked faith fails to hold the same saccharine attraction as faith accessorized by bubbly emotion and self-generated stick-to-it-iveness.

When those outer trappings are stripped away, all that remains is plain spoken, rawboned determination. A pioneer spirit. One that persists, but doesn't soar. A pilgrim's progress.

This modest garment of faith will never walk the red carpet. It will never sign autographs or become the whispered tabloid buzz of a thousand coffee-stirred conversations. It will never capture the fleeting attention of the masses.

But it will entirely transform the lives of a handful. Those of us who are standing up close enough to see it, and the dirt in its details.

And the magnetism of that small, quiet transformation is more powerful and impacting than all the sugar-glue in the world. It may not be pretty, but it's beautiful. Beyond words. Beyond understanding.

And certainly beyond optimism.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger Dave Lartigue said...

Or:
http://www.adamconover.net/2008/01/12/three-philosophies/#more-59

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Charles Schultz said...

I am very curious what the context here is; both for this post and "Rubbing the Antennae". I feel like I am reading page 5 of chapter 23 or something.

Interesting, too, that although you call it "naked" faith, you describe a faith that is in action and not naked at all.

But do tell me (us) what spawned this thought, I would like to hear more.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger caparoon said...

Ha. Well, ironically, instead of either of those posts, I almost wrote a post that just said, "I need to stop explaining myself."

So, in the spirit of that almost-post, I'll just say that currently, I'm sort of worn out. : ]

Try to enjoy the novel, regardless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home