punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Sunday, March 05, 2006

worship retreat

Back in January, we had our annual Windsor Road Christian Church Worship Ministry retreat.

Deb and I dropped out kids off at my wonderful inlaws, and took off across the state for a day and a half of semi-religious contemplation, mingling, and two honest-to-goodness dates.

Now, I know that sounds like a pretty good time, but somehow.. this year just didn't quite do it for me.

Maybe it was because it was right after the holidays. Usually, that would be a good thing, but for Christmas this year, I wrecked my car and had to buy a new one. So the holidays weren't very restful, and I was just kinda edgy and stressed out.

But I don't think that's why it was, really.

Really, I think it was that this is the first year since Simmons got here that I haven't really been "involved" in the worship ministry.

Starting several months ago, while I was in college, I started lightening up on my worship band duties. I was already down to 1 Sunday per month (in accordance with my "say 'no' to everything" policy), and when classes started to pressure me, I just sorta bowed out entirely.
Mike, thankfully, was cool with that.

Then after I got done with classes, I just never started back up again with the worship band. I really wanted to spend some time focusing on my "big three" of Family, Friends, and Writing. And again, thankfully, Mike was cool with that.

And so I kind of got into this relationship with the music ministry where it doesn't bother me and I don't bother it. If they need someone to walk in of a Sunday morn' and blast out some tunes, or throw in a harmony vocal, I'm all about it. All Mike has to do is get on the horn and I'll throw my gear in the car. Whoosh!

But I think it didn't do me much good when it came to having an impactful weekend with the worship ministry team.

I'm not sure if that means I need to get in, or if I need to get out. Or maybe if I just need to get over... : ]

But it was something that I meant to share a couple months back. And now I have.

As a general disclaimer/report/critique: The retreat itself was great. The people are all wonderful, the food was good, the music lovely. There were some really good times of prayer and sharing, and we got to spend some quality time with some people that we usually just don't hang out with very much.

So.. it wasn't the retreat's fault. It was definitely mine. Maybe next year..?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home