punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sickness, Monster Trucks, & Big Orange Guitars.. oh my!

Friday night, at a silent auction, me and Dan-O laid down some upbeat and jazzy grooves on behalf of WRCC's mission trip to the Dominican.

Well.. okay.. they were not really jazzy.. and only some of them were upbeat. But they were grooves! And I will take you to the mat on that one, Junior!

The funny part was, I was asked to play for this thing months ago, but I only found out about a week before that they wanted "upbeat and jazzy". Which, if you are at all familiar with my repotoire, you get the joke.

Anyway.. so I did the best I could, and just tried to play clean and stick to the americana side of rock. Seemed to work out real nice. There were some very pleasant hecklers sitting at a table in front--I believe they were associated with the percussionist--and even (completely unexpected) clapping after one song, from the otherwise disinterested crowd. ("disinterested" btw, was what I was hoping for. So.. not a bad thing.) It was a good time, and I hope that Dan and I can do a little more pickin' and percussin' at some point in the near future. (although, this was the first time I've played in front of real live people in 3 months, so I guess I'd better tell Dan not to hold his breath!)

THEN, to mix things up, on Saturday (yesterday), Me, Scott, and Josh took our boys to the MONSTER NATIONALS monster truck show at the Assembly Hall! (first time I'd been to the hall--pretty cool)

Our tickets were a Christmas gift from Scott & Lisa, and thank them very much! I'm sad to say that there were no life-flight helicopters nor funnel cakes at our show.. no dirt, even.. but there was a CRAZY-BOY(tm) rocket-powered recliner, some very large and smelly trucks, and some poor little group of bmx freestyle kids that had to lug all their own gear, do all their own (sometimes painfully unsucessful--can you say "off the ramp onto concrete," kids?) stunts, and then load all their own stuff out again! Wooo! We waved our hands in the air.

Matthew had an awesome time. Markus was a little squirrelly.. I was thinking maybe it was all just a little to much for his constitution, but it turned out, he's sick! I know, bummer. I thought it was probably just the fumes, but no, he woke up this morning with a fever. So I'm sitting at home w/ him instead of going to church this morning. I think that's okay, though. I feel like I've already had a pretty spiritual weekend.

Oh, and Stephen made $7 from the slightly inebriated gamblers in front of him. (ask Scott..)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home