punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Sunday, March 05, 2006

a bit of a dilemma

I have a dilemma. (shortly after beginning this post, I realized I had a second dilemma--I did not know how to spell "dilemma." But that's cleared up now.)

In 1999, I moved from Nashville, TN --"Music City"... to Champaign, IL--"The Middle of Nowhere."

This in itself, surprisingly, is not the dilemma.

The dilemma (yes, I'm going to stop using it here in a second) is that part of my reason for moving to Champaign.. a large part, actually.. was that there is at least some kind of music scene here. (The rest of the state of Illinois, excepting Chicago, can make no such claim.) But.. I am not involved in it. At all.

In the last ..oh, dear Lord.. the last six years.. I have seen two bands play. Unless you count the band I was briefly in and the bands we opened for at our total of two "concerts"--in that case, it's five bands.

For the non-math majors in the crowd, that comes out to less than one band PER YEAR.

I should've known.. really. I was only kidding myself. I lived in Nashville for seven years. I went there.. "Music City".. to pursue music, specifically. I went to a prestigious university with a famous music business program. I met and rubbed elbows with the industry elite.

I turned down development deals and showcases. I saw maybe a dozen bands play--including ones that I was playing with--in seven years. That's all it took for me to get hurt, disillusioned, give up, and come home.

So really, seriously, who was I kidding?

But anyway.. enough of that.

Here I am. I'm sitting on what is really, really a decent little music scene. It has really taken off in the last couple years. And I want in.

I don't necessarily want to go charging in (oh yeah, I know we were all worried about that. I'm a charger! I charge!).. but I'm thinking that I need to start at least.. oh.. I don't know... SHOWING UP. Like.. at shows. In venues. Possibly.. with at least an open mind to the idea that I might get a wild hair and actually meet and participate with other musician-type people in some kind of music-making activities.

So the dilemma is this: How?

All the shows are late. Crazy-late. Like.. college dorm style late. With start times sometimes post-8pm. (!) And I'm not just going to go hanging out on my own late at night in campus town.

NO
! Not because I'm a scaredy-cat!! .. I will flat kick the pants off the first jerk who gives me lip, and don't you doubt it! I didn't learn how to bend arms behind heads for no reason, Junior!

..but the part where I drive to places I've never been to and try to find parking makes me feel kind of funny in my tummy... : -p

And.. in addition to being too big a wuss to drive around campus... it costs money. Which, of course, I'm not scared to spend. I just don't have any.

Then there's the issue of my kids. I have 3 kids. They cannot stay home alone. Yes, they have a mother, but a.) because I like her, and b.) because she's better at driving in town than me.. I'd kinda like to take her along. (She's my hangin' out buddy. We hang out. We like it. We understand it's abnormal, this "liking to hang out with your spouse" thing. But we do. So get over it.)

So the best thing I can figure out is this: We're going to have to set aside a little money. And I'm going to have to find someone who is willing to come and either sleep overnight or at least hang out really late at my house about once a week.. or maybe once every two weeks. Let's not get all crazy just yet..

I know I'm lame. I'm a 33 year-old guy who just wants to do a little something with himself, though. And this is my thing. In the past, I have been so fortunate to be able to work and play with some brilliant, brilliant, talented, driven musicians. They have held me up, drug me along, and generally allowed me to ride their coat-tails and look good. (Apparently, I am really good at riding and lookin' pretty.) Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't have any skills. I can rock it out quite a bit given the opportunity. But to this point I've kind of been the Jim McMahon of my own musical career.. cavorting around behind the line in my dark shades, letting the big guys crush the competition and picking my shots. I'm not that lucky anymore. I'm playing 3rd string for Green Bay and complaining that, gee Coach, I'd really love to get in there and bust out a dazzling display of my former glory.. but this new jock strap is really chafing me something fierce..

So I'm embracing my lameness. I'm making a plan. I've stopped expecting something to just magically happen that will do for me all the things that I've had done in the past. I'm going to try and grow up a little, and just go do something.

But I've still got a bit of a dilemma. Consider this a cry for help. Or at least an open call for suggestions or assistance. Know anybody who wants to come hang out at my house occassionally? It shouldn't be that hard to run them down once they realize that I'm not going to be here while they are, and I'm probably getting broadband internet service. Also, the kids will probably be in bed by the time they get here. And I'll.. cut their hair.. or something. I can paint.. I'm good with my hands..

6 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as the "middle of nowhere" - Champaign? You've got to be kidding. Try Robinson, Illinois, my friend. (I have to drive 50 minutes to reach the local "cultural Mecca" of Terre Haute.) But, alas, we all make our own choices - which are rarely without some kind of compromise.

Other than that, I dig what you're saying. I'm somehow artistically healthy now, but I suspect the desire for something "bigger and better" in my future. In May '08 I'll be an official SLCC grad - I'll also be 42 years old - and ready for some changes in venue, so to speak. At that point, I'll be looking to find some overnight babysitters and a little extra cash for concert tickets and cover charges.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger caparoon said...

Well, *yeah*.. I meant the middle of nowhere as opposed to Nashville. Not the middle of nowhere as opposed to Butte, Montana!

But, as you say, your choice for Robinson was motivated by much different reasons than my choice for Champaign. You followed the job. I just picked a spot on the map and then let a job find me.

As for your artistic health, you are using your art. In a meaningful, unselfish way, no less. But you have always been a do-er when it comes to the music. Your discipline and technical skills help with that, of course--you actually have quite a few things you *can* do, and do without fear.

I haven't done the legwork. I didn't come up in bands like you guys did. I never had to run a sound system or figure out the chords behind a Merle Haggard song. I never had to load out of the Moose at 3am and then go to work the next day. I didn't put in the time. I got a lot of stuff handed to me that made it easy for me to look good. Yours were the first coattails that I officially took a ride on.

I never built up my artistic immune system, so to speak. So now that I'm without you guys, my artistic health is not so hot. :-/

I think you're always going to be healthier than me, because you've laid a solid foundation, and you have the tools to make yourself well. You may move on to "bigger and better", but a lot of the reason you'll be able to do that is that you know what you do and how to do it. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

So.. I'll work hard at figuring it out. ..and I'll spend some time praying that come '08, a gig for you suddenly appears about 3hrs closer to "Athens North". ; ]

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes - I would mentally (and perhaps physically) salivate at a ministry in Champaign, Springfield or Bloomington.

(Don't you find it ironic that I was quite opposed to that idea back about six years ago? So, here I am in the wilderness of "extreme southeastern central Illinois," or is that "south-central eastern Illinois?" How about the "de facto annex of southwestern Indiana?" Or maybe...)

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger caparoon said...

I didn't know you were so opposed to it six years ago..

Well, maybe six years ago. Not so much about four years ago. : ]

I'm not sure if it's ironic or not. Ever since that Alanis Morissette song, though, I've had trouble pinning down what irony really is.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, you poor, tortured soul. Sounds like you are talking yourself out of all your excuses and doing something, anything to feed your creative soul. Excellent. It warms my heart, dear friend. I was there that dark night when you said, "that's it! I'm done with music" I can't do it anymore." Remember? I told you then that you were fooling yourself, that you wd never be able to stop. Make it work, Brother! you can do it. --Painter Dan

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger caparoon said...

Dan-O,

No, no, I'm not a tortured soul. Conflicted, for sure. Tortured, only inasmuch as I do it to myself.

And yeah, I know, I said that. But I was being facetious... or however you spell that...

There have been plenty of times when I wished God had just made me an accountant, for sure. But I love doing music too much to not at least make myself crazy with it.

I'm working on it. Thanks for your continued willingness to participate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home