punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Poker Night with the boys


It is Wednesday evening, or as I now refer to it, "Poker Night with the boys."

And Emma. But I don't say that part, because it throws the whole thing off.

Deb has a class on Wednesdays now.. "Accounting" or "Big Numbers that make John's head hurt".. something like that.. and me and the gang are just chillin' for a few hours. It's nice, actually, that they get some time in an alternative environment (Deb too).

Last week Emma and I were butting heads about something, and I kind of told her how it was going to be and to move it along, missy. And Matthew, who had been drawing at the table, says
"You may as well get used to it, Emma.. every Wednesday is going to be like this from now on."


Now.. I'm not sure how he meant that.. but there was definitely a sense of resignation involved. Maybe not even so much for his own part, but he was certainly at least conveying to the girl that she had better just lower the bar right now, because with me in charge, things were not going to meet up to her expectations. Just do what the crazy old man says, and nobody gets hurt. Mom will be back shortly, and we'll return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

I don't know where he came up with it--I didn't tell him. Didn't lay down the law or give him the "Now.. mom's going to be gone on Wednesdays and so..." speech. That's just his own, frank assessment of the situation. And.. regardless of how he meant it.. I think I'm kind of pleased.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home