punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

flexing the musical muscle

I'm sure most of you know, I've been working on a new music project.

The point of this project is so that Mark can maybe pitch some of my songs for some kind of publishing deal. I was supposed to begin working on it a year ago January, but because of school and other stuff, I only got around to it at the end of this October.

My original thought was that I'd go from October to Christmas, and have 3 songs done.
But no dice. School went longer than I expected, and I didn't get started til almost November.
No problem, right? It'll just push out into January. That was fine, as there was no time to get together with Mark to mix until after Christmas, anyway.

Well, a few more things happened. Dan & I can't seem to get the drumming scheduled.. I accidently wrote a fourth song.. and, most importantly, I kind of stink right now. : [

"Stink!?" You say..? Yes. Stink.

I mean, I can still write a song and all, but what i've discovered, sadly, is that I let the musical muscles atrophy. I left my artistic crayons out in the sun too long, and now all I've got is a big brown puddle.

So.. if anyone is waiting or wondering.. "when is John gonna get something done, anyway?"... I'm working on it. But I've decided that it's more important to do it right than to do it fast. I'm going to re-evaluate my deadline, and come up with something that takes into account the rehabilitation of my writing and playing chops, inactive lo these many, many months.

I'm gonna get 'em in the gym.. work the heavy bag a bit. Maybe some eliptical training.. i dunno.. whatever gets the trick done.

Play write and sing day and night. Eat it, live it, and sleep it a little bit. Get back to being able to rock some face off. And *then* i'm going to be flexing the musical muscle a bit.

And yes, I know that sounds kinda bad.

Perverts.

2 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah the "more important to do it right than to do it fast" school. I'm more in the "do it now or it won't get done" or "crappy is better than nothing" school.

Enough musical muscle to get what's in my head onto "tape" more or less. Probably why I have such good eyesight.

Anyway, if you are taking the time to do it right, you are the man. The man with spectacles.

CS

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger caparoon said...

Well.. there's a couple things you're not taking into account here, though.

1. You actually know what you're doing. (like, you know the names of the notes and stuff)

Now, while I generally adopt the view that "knowing" all that "stuff" just gets in the way of the artistic vision... it also ends up with me spending a lot of time re-inventing the wheel.

"Look!" I'll say.. "Look at this cool thing I made! It rolls!."

"Yes" you will say, "It's a wheel."

"Oh." : -\

So you *can* do it fast. That's an option for you.

and 2. The possibility of your stinking will not hinder any possible future income-producing activity, nor will it be potentially embarrassing to anyone (other than maybe you, but at this point I doubt if that's a big concern for you).

So I guess I'm pinned in. I *have* to try and do it right. Otherwise it'd be SLOP SLOP SLOP ALL THE WAY HOME!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home