punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Thursday, December 22, 2005

flare post: "tubes"

One of the things I'm learning, as a blogger, is that it's a lot harder than it seems. Those of you (he says, as if the audience is listening at all) who read Brant's awesome blog know what I'm talking about. He cranks out some good stuff all'a time.

I know, it seems like he's just brilliant off the top of his head, but that's not true! That kind of cavalier brilliance requires *hours* of work on Brant's part. He can't just pull that.. er.. wait. We're off topic.

Anyway, Brant's blog is so good that the people at the Sun Sentinel sneak in at night and steal it for op ed pieces--"Woden it be nice" (you have to page down a few entries). That's how good it is. (except they exclude the phrase, "That's pretty much not cool" which makes the whole piece, imho)

Another brilliant blog example? I don't know if anybody in the aforementioned fictitious audience is aware of a currently popular song which contains liberal use of the word "hump".. but here is a GEM.

One other thing I'm learning is that, if you don't blog pretty much every day, sometimes multiple times, everybody stops reading.

"No," you say, "we don't stop reading because there's not a new post every day, we stop reading because there *is*, and they stink."

Well, you know what? Shut it. That's what.

Now... obviously, all of these brilliant bloggers cannot be on their game ever day. Presumably (although that may be a bad move) they have like, jobs and stuff, and in interest of not being summarily dismissed, they occassionally just have to fire a "flare" post.

Like this one.

Which was going to a be about amp tubes, and replacement speakers, because I didn't have anything worthwhile to say. But it isn't.

Maybe next time.

2 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliment.

It's definitely true, about the frequent posting. When I let it lie fallow, no one stops by.

Problem: I'm still not clear on why I do it, so it's hard to keep doing it. One thing I've decided, which I'll bet is directly applicable for you: I'm doing it to try to find my writing voice again. I used to have a pretty distinct one, but it's a use-it-or-lose-it thing. Kinda like your songwriting thing. You've got to get back in the mode.

I know you understand this, so I'll shut up now.

Brant

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger caparoon said...

Yeah, that's definitely part of it for me. I'm just trying to find the voice. And there's only one way to do that--just keep banging stuff out.

I'm pretty good at the "ad copy" gig, where you're finding an imaginary voice and writing with it, but it's entirely different to just try and "be yourself."

And if it helps, I haven't noticed you losing it at any point.

No, YOU rock, man!

(And Kirk, you rock, too.
In other, more disturbing, non-communications-major ways. There's a *real* post about tubes coming up, thanks to you.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home