punchworthy

A blog whereby I motivate myself, and my readers, to punch me in the mouth.



  "Punchworthy feeds our deepest Freudian wishes!" --Entertainment

  "The consumate rocker's rocker. Charming, personable... a sucking void of inescapable inner turmoil."
  --Newsweek
  

Friday, March 02, 2007

a little something (more)

I think maybe this polishes this one off. Not that I've picked up a guitar on it yet, mind you, so it's hard to say where it goes from here.

I got the words for the second, doubled verse this morning on the way to work. When I got there, I wrote them down on the back of a piece of paper that had an email I'd printed out on the other side. (some days i'm too stupid to read and comprehend emails on the screen, so I have to print them out to get my brain to process them) Then I turned it lyrics-side-down on my desk and spent the rest of the day being a guy who goes to meetings and answers questions and tries to figure stuff out.

I realized after I got home that I'd never bothered to type the lyrics up and compare them to what I'd typed the day before (because I wouldn't know, until I did that, if they were really lyrics, or just something I thought of, or lyrics to a different song that I didn't know I was writing yet). Also, I'd forgotten to even bring home the stupid paper that they were written on, which meant, most likely, no more thinking about them until Monday.

But then it turned out that I could remember them all, word for word. Which is usually a really good sign. Trust me, (and those who have worked with me can testify) if I can remember a whole string of lyrics, that's significant. Even ones I've written myself. Perhaps especially ones I've written myself.

So I pulled up the doc file and typed them out and they do seem to match up with what I already had, so I guess they must all go together. I don't know what this is called, but here it is:

sometimes when i'm at work, i
stare out the window to where you used to..
my eyes are far away
from the things that i get paid for

a justice
ending
a new
beginning
i got the word now i'm just
waiting for directions

pack up your plagues and set out for the north
pack up your never-ending tales of selfless worth
pack up your bags, the summer sun sets in the south
and happiness and handbags east and west now that your
hand's set to the plow

i came back to life this year
a little past what i expected
but hey.. i'm alive
i'll take it

the winter cold must've killed
some crawling bugs inside my soul
a feeble flame
rekindled

a justice
ending
a new
beginning
i got the word now i'm just
waiting for directions

a justice
ending
a new
beginning
i got the word now i'm just
waiting for directions

pack up your plagues and set out for the north
pack up your never-ending tales of selfless worth
pack up your bags, the summer sun sets in the south
and happiness and handbags east and west now that your
hand's set to the plow

now that your hand's set to
now that your hand's set to the

pack up your plagues and set out for the north
pack up your never-ending tales of selfless worth
pack up your bags, the summer sun sets in the south
and happiness and handbags east and west

now that your hand's set to
now that your hand's set to the
now that your hand's set to
now that your hand's set to the plow

4 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger Bill Lewis said...

cool - that these are lyrics

I thought that you were going to start writing free verse there for a minute - not that there's anything wrong with that. (I don't mean that in the standard Midwestern sense - I mean "there's not anything wrong with that.")

anyhow - as my friend Sonya would say - "That really rang true in my spirit."

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger caparoon said...

Now if I can just figure out how to play it.. : }

I really wish I'd learned how to do what I do. The wooden end of this hammer can really wear you down.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger byronfrombyron said...

You could try the tune to "So Danco Samba". I think it works, but of course that's an older tune, not original.

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger caparoon said...

haha. Something with "samba" in the title? Magic 8-ball say, "not likely." : ]

No, I've got the tune and whatnot. It's all in my head. It's the getting it out onto a guitar that's the challenge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home